Sunday, August 28, 2005

Great Uncle Jim Betts

Last night my mom called to tell me that my Great Uncle had passed away on Friday. I was sad for the Family. I know I had met my G. U. but that has been many years. The last time I can think of ever having seen him, was when Great Grandad Betts had passed, and Momma and I went to Salina for the funeral. But then I was a young teen, and other than my Grandma, and some cousins my age; little held my attention. No, not to say I didn't know; I cried my eyes out for the man who would give me all his one dollar bills when ever I visited him ( he just lived across the field from my Grandparents). I loved him dearly.
Any how, back to the subject at hand, I would like to post about his passing, and hope that others out there do not forget about your Great Uncles and Aunts, as they are your loved ones too.
James Gene “Jim” Betts
James Gene “Jim” Betts, 76, Salina, died Friday, Aug. 26, 2005.
Mr. Betts was born April 13, 1929, in Salina, the son of the late Philip Frank Betts and Mabel Zada (Laferre) Green. He attended Washington High School in Salina. He served in the U.S. Navy as a seaman second class in World War II and served in the U.S. Army as a corporal in the Korean War. He retired as owner/operator of ACE Sanitary Service in Salina and had been working as a rural postal carrier. He was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1432 and attended the Emmanuel Christian Center in Salina. He was an avid stamp collector.
He married the former Shirley Ann Copeland on Aug. 2, 1957, in Ellsworth.
Survivors include his wife, Shirley; three daughters, Shayla Gibbs and husband Curtis, Geneann Gordon and husband Greg T. and Dawn Carlson and husband Frank, all of Salina; two sons, Monty and wife Linda of Salina and Kevin of Wichita; a sister, Phyllis Austin and husband Ralph of Mauston, Wis.; a brother, Donald Philip and wife Etta of Salina; two half brothers, Michael Betts of Salina and Terence “Terry” Betts and wife Josephine of Tracy, Calif.; 15 grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.
The funeral will be at 10:30 a.m. Tuesday at Emmanuel Christian Center, Salina, Pastor Loren Houltberg officiating. Burial will be in Highland Cemetery, New Cambria.
Memorials may be made to Emmanuel Christian Center Food Fund, 1325 Cloud, Salina.
Visitation will be from 1 to 5 p.m. Monday at Carlson-Ford-Geisendorf Funeral Home, 500 S. Ohio, Salina 67401.
Condolences may be sent to www.carlsonford.com.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

*Hugs* sorry for your family's loss hun.